Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 3 - Oh my poor legs

So the plan today was to get to Hope, BC. As I mentioned yesterday we were in Abbotsford, which meant that the day necessitated a 88 kilometer trip. Just rest assured I made it, however my legs feel like they have been processed in a grinder of some sort.

The day started out with complementary breakfast from Motel Rio, after which Meagan and I scooted over to our designated meeting place with Xavier. From there a powerful tailwind drove us straight to Chilliwack with only one minor break along the way. In Chilliwack, the three of us concluded that what was missing which would make a difference was a chinese buffet. Well, sure enough we got what we wished for.

Lunchtime dragged out for a while, and I needed to run some errands in town, so Meagan concludes to boost on ahead since she has a concern about falling behind Xavier and myself. Fair enough, however we don't see her again until the end of the day.

Xavier and I strike out for the highway after I finish my business in town, and it rapidly becomes clear to me how much more fit for the task of highway cycling Xavier is than myself. In total it takes just a bit more than three hours to get from Chilliwack to Hope and the entire time I am pushing my body as hard as I can just to keep up with him.

Along the way, we spot a very nice roadside waterfall with about a ten foot drop and from that moment, it takes me less than a minute to jump down off the road and stand underneath it. Really refreshing, my goodness.

The rest of the journey took a degree of physical drive that has been absent as of late in my life, and by the time we finally pull into Hope my bum is intolerably sore and legs are burning with every peddle.

Connecting with Meagan turns out to be an exercise in mis-communication. It takes the two of us a moment after the fourth phone call and second text message to get off of our high horses and actually figure out why we couldn't see each other.

The three of us are currently staying at a very nice place by the name of Holiday Motel on the south western end of Hope, we have a great room with three queen size beds and and just finally fixed the hotels wireless Internet connection in regards to my particular laptop so that I can write this very article.

Tomorrow Xavier will be leaving us for a week or so to navigate highway 3 and Manning Park, and eventually meet with us again in Revelstoke so we can attempt Rogers Pass together.

Wish us luck

Much Love

Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment